Why North? 為什麼去北方？
This video project was created during the Arctic Circle Residnecy, Svolbard, 2017
“You might go north to find yourself, or lose yourself or simply be yourself.”
(Going North Roni Horn, by Gary Indiana)
“Why North?” is a three-channel video, including the footage that the artist documented from the Arctic Circle 2017 Autumn Expedition in Svalbard- a Norwegian archipelago in the Arctic Ocean. A total of 40 participants and crew sailed in a Tall ship along the west and north coast of Svalbard, and reached Muffin Island (80° 01′ N 14° 30′ E) as the Northernmost point, which is only 111 km from the North Pole.
During the three years since the journey, the artist has reflected on the purpose of the modern-day Arctic Circle expedition. She juxtaposes the carefully planned routine activities with the responses to unexpected accidents that arose during the journey, including being trapped by the ice pack in the Zodiac and crossing a partially frozen river to reveal the ambiguous relationship between the “explorers” and the delicate High Arctic environment, the intertwined connections between each participant’s single action to the whole group experience, and the hidden purposes in both individual and collective level.
Also, the artist intends to bring an immersive experience through three-channel video projections and display various perspectives on each activity.
「Why North？」 作品內容取材於，2017年10月期間，我與來自30個不同國家與專業背景的成員，和10位同行的工作人員，一同參與位於挪威屬地斯瓦爾巴群島（Svalbard），為期三個禮拜的駐村過程（The Arctic Circle Residency)。在為期三個禮拜，與外界幾乎隔絕的狀態下，共同航行和生活的過程，自成為一個小型的社會生態系統。每個成員的行為和反應，都會牽動整個駐村的經驗和過程。此三頻錄像作品，將幾段駐村的紀錄片段交錯呈現，包括被浮冰圍住的橡皮艇上，工作人員的反應、於17世紀的捕鯨場，團員如何按照指示，依序前進觀察海象的情景、以及在徒步造訪世界是最北地熱區時，跨越尚未完全結冰的河面的過程…等。意圖展示在這些看似平凡的集體行為下，潛藏著來到北方的目的。
- Medium: Three Channels Video
- Length: 13:00 mins
- Year: 2020
- Camera and Editing: Nung-Hsin Hu
- Sound Mixer: Sung Ting Yang
SPECIAL THANKS TO
- Captain: Joachim Schiel, First mate: Mario Czok, Second mate: Piet Boorsma, Service manager:Jana Maxová, Chef: Sascha Hühn ,Service: Monika Hiller, Veronika Baresova, Ala: Elzbieta Mrowiec.
- Project leader: Aaron O'Connor, Expedition Leader: Sarah Gerats, Guide: Kristin Jæger Wexsahl, Guide: Sally Hovelsø, Guide: Marte Agneberg Dahl, Dog: Nemo
- Amelie Laurence Fortin, Annique Goldenberg, Ashleigh Goh Hua, Alan Campbell, Caroline Landau, Chelsey Flood , Claire Dibble, Caroline Hinkley, Devra Freelander, Emma Varga, Hannah Scott, Hildur Jónasson, Himali Singh Soin, John Henry Blatter, Iveta Vaivode, Jillian McDonald, Julie Kusyk, Kazuko Kizawa, Laura Noel, Michael Wallace, Mita Mahato, Pete Froslie, Alexis Rider, Brandon Holmes, Chih-Chung Chang, Debbie (DJ) Lee, Nanou Blair Gould, Ren Zi, Sheng-Wen Lo
Why North is made possible by
- Jerome Foundation Travel and Study Grant
- Taoyuan City Government, Cultural Affairs Bureau Visual Arts Grant
- The Arctic Circle Residency